Translate

Sunday, September 1, 2013

No Harm Done...a parable



       There are rocks everywhere, big & small, smooth & sharp, heavy & light, porous & dense.
       The world is made of rock.
       They are abundant.

       The slabs I cannot move.
       The pebbles fit in my pocket.
       A wheelbarrow or rolling suitcase works well for those of good, durable size.

       I find them.
       I place them.
       One after the other, beside the other, fitting like puzzle pieces, all pointy ends down, anchoring into mud.

       "What are you doing?" they will ask.

       I am building a road.

       I believe in roads.
       Sure-footed paths from one place to the next.

       I believe in people visiting their neighbors.
       In change of scenery.
       In new lands & new challenges.
       In getting away.

       I do not believe in the military.
       Or enforced education.
       Or prisons.
       Or raping any land for any resource.

       I do not believe in mind control.
       Or politics.
       Or child abuse.
       Or employment.
       Or unemployment.
       Or business of any kind, really.
       I do not believe in income or expenses, in buying or selling.

       What I believe in is giving & sharing & enjoying & dancing & savoring & loving & tending & sleeping soundly every night, no harm received, no harm done.

       And so I am building this road from material already covering the surface of the earth, only not quite as neatly as my puzzle rock pieces fit together, edges nestled tighter to provide a firm walking surface that will last hundreds of years, maybe more.

       They are just beginning to recognize roads of people no one knew existed, after all, people who lived in ways & built things previously considered inconceivable for their era.

       I no longer pay taxes or work for a living because I no longer strive or struggle to get ahead.

       If I want to get anywhere, I can just walk on my road and see where it leads.

       Even where I've not yet laid rock, the road exists, invisible, waiting.

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments: